Journi is a Family Health Management app. I led the design project where I designed tools to help users build more resilience and improve overall well-being. During that, I collaborated with cross-functional partners across two offices. I also had opportunity to participate in Cambia Innovation Challenge and was a finalist for the challenge. The goal is to change how people think about health care. To simplify it.
Product Manager, Health Coaches, Researchers, Engineers
If we provide users an easy way
to build resilience and improve
well-being, they will be productive more and thus app retention rates are higher .
Wellbeing industry is huge but what we lack today is improving each individual’s experience by providing the right guidance and information. We believe that suggested well-being experience will improve as people choose what matters to them and what they would like to do, Journi begins to build them a unique experience.
As I can’t publicly show my project yet, and would like to know more, let's chat!
For a quick peek of the general process, below is the framework that I went through with my team at Cambia.
When starting a project, I first go talk to people. Who worked on this before? Are there any existing research done? Who has user data on this? Who should know I am working on this? When I have some hypotheses, I would start looking at competitors and conduct my own research.
Look at Existing Data
Very often we get a brief describing the problem on a surface level. We usually spend some time to peel back and define what we should really try to achieve. Below is more showcase of looking problems from different angles and really prioritizing into what makes most sense and what users need!
After a few quick flow sketches, I usually dive into the component libraries to see if any established design pattern solve the problem. Every other day, I share progress with other designers to gather feedback. Sketch & InVision prototype was frequently used to do quick tests on usertesting.com. On a need basis, researchers would help with recruiting to conduct in-person studies.
Design from Team Library
Prototype in inVision
Sketch files were branched and merged. Design process was documented on Confluence with links to research and testing results.
Working at Cambia was hands down the hardest challenge I’d ever taken on. The opportunities for growth were endless and really forced me to focus on absorbing the information that helped me move my project forward in a meaningful way.Within that period of time, one of the areas I grew was in learning how to ask the right questions. I learned how to zero in on the 20% of questions that would give me 80% knowledge.I also learned the value of leveraging cross-functional partners as a way to demystify complex problem spaces and get to what matters. Their feedback was invaluable to making sure I was aligned on the right north star and iterating on what mattered.
Apart for that, I wanted to take this time to be a sponge and make the most of the internship, so I did 40 informational interviews lunches with people at Cambia and learned about them as well as why and how they are playing a part at Cambia. It was an amazing experience meeting people and learning about them.
Finally I learned the value of going broad on ideas before going deep. For me, the value of doing the due diligence exploring multiple ideas in raw, unfinished forms is something I’d struggled with early in my design education. With the help of my manager and health coaches, I learned to lean into my unfinished work as a proxy to getting feedback early and often.